Intermediate Accountant – Cost Control and Reporting
Reporting directly to the Director of Finance this position will be a key member of the finance team and be responsible for building and implementing project costing processes and controls. Assessing financial systems and reporting capital project spend and forecasts.
The role will provide reporting and internal control expertise and ensure the alignment and integration of finance and project management teams.
Working closely with the Director, Finance, VP Operations and the Engineering and Project Managers to ensure consistent alignment, reporting and tracking of capital.
- Implementation of project administration, including cost control, procure to pay, schedule maintenance, and change order administration for internal capital projects.
- Prepare project log to track capital project, approval workflow and change orders
- Develop cost reporting, including deviation from the approved AFE with respect to scope, market conditions, financial and operational changes and any other deviation from the economic model.
- Attend project meetings including kick-off, progress, milestones, completions and other status updates as deemed appropriate by project manager.
- Ensure project costing and procurement processes and controls are efficient and scalable to forecasted capital spend.
- Evaluate and implementation of project management financial system with appropriate controls and reporting to ensure timely and accurate capital reporting to senior management with minimal cost surprises.
- Development of AFE’s in conjunction with Engineering & PM’s for all Capital Spend and ensure appropriate backup and process is in place prior to submitting for approvals. Provide bi-weekly monthly variance analysis and reporting package for senior management
- Maintain inventory and asset management and budgetary controls.
- Implement and maintain and effective Delegation of Authority.
Forecasting & Budgeting
- Actively participate in the budgeting and forecasting process which includes involvement in the strategic Plan and the associated analysis and scenario development.
- Develop financial models that allow for quick and simple scenario analysis.
- Provide monthly variance analysis, project progress status and reporting package for senior management
- Assistance with year-end audit requirements and review of financial statements coordinating the audit process with external auditors.
- Primary responsibility for oversight and leadership for the preparation and presentation of capital budget and balance sheet forecast.
- Maintain financial security by researching and reconciling discrepancies; auditing and verifying documents; following internal controls; completing data backups.
- Enhance procure to pay process, develop purchase order process, job costing, coding and approval process.
- Work closely with Operations management to ensure they have the financial information they require to make appropriate decisions in running their facility in a profitable and safe fashion.
- Develop and report on KPI’s to assist with effective operational performance.
- Act as finance business partner to facilitate discussions to ensure Operations teams understand results, forecast and budget for facility cost and revenue, including alignment to the organization goals and strategies.
- Identify key drivers in results for performance versus budget or forecast with the Operations management team and present findings to Senior management in a timely manner.
- System integration with Financial System, Project Costing System, Field system and Spartan.
- Ensure system effective governances are in place that secure financial data through controls prevention or to minimize the risk of fraud, phishing, and other 3rdparty infiltration into our operating systems
- Develop system progress status updates with senior management team.
- Provide timey and accurate analysis of monthly, quarterly and fully year finance reporting to management to ensure delivery of targets.
- Maintain a professional level of communication and presentation to internal and external customers.
- Respond to all internal enquiries within the Company in a timely and professional manner.
- Assist in all business process documentation by reviewing information to ensure completeness and accuracy.
- Coach employees on new processes, understanding the cause and effect on current ones.
- Practice discretion and the utmost confidentiality on all internal issues.